Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"These streets will make you feel brand new. Big lights will inspire you, let's here it for..."

NEW YORK, NEW YORK! 

Wow. I haven't realized I haven't blogged in a minute. I have so much to tell you guys about: my students short and small production, the costume shop tour, New York! I will start with New York because i'm here and it's the most exciting. 
I flew in Sunday evening with a friend that came along for the ride.We are both staying at a close friend's apartment in the East Village. This week my Introduction to Theatre of the Oppressed course runs from about 1pm-6pm everyday at New York University, so before my first class yesterday we decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and eat at Grimaldi's pizza. It was such a beautiful day.


After our lunch, we parted ways because I had to head over to class. On the subway ride to campus, I was extremely excited, but also very nervous. I felt like my own students asking myself silly questions: What are the other students going to be like? Is it going to be hard? I wonder if i'm going to look dumb? What is he going to make us to? What should I bring? It's been a while since I took a college class. After calming myself down, I bought myself a notebook and proceeded into the small Black Box Theatre near Washington Square Park. I don't know why I was so nervous. It's a small intimate class of about 18 easy-going, theatre lovers/activists/educator-students like me! One women teaches middle school Theatre in the Dominican Republic and another taught AIDS awareness through theatre in Africa. Amazing group of people. 
Mr. Julian Boal and me

During this first class we played games and dialogued about he origins of Theatre of the Oppressed and the meaning of oppression. It's nice to be a student again. Julian Boal, the instructor and son of Augusto Boal who created Theatre of the Oppressed, shared amazing stories about their experiences with this work all over the world. First day, completely inspired.

Later that evening, I topped the night off by watching Avenue Q with my friend, Morley. She was able to get discounted tickets from the TKTS booth while I was in class. It was the second time seeing it, but it was still just as funny. Who knew puppets can be so insightful and hilarious? 


6 comments:

  1. Aileen! Loved your first blog from New York and am so pleased you felt inspired by your first class! The photos are a wonderful addition. -Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun experience to be back in the "students shoes." The class sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    That sounds amazing! I studied in that very same small black box theatre so you brought back memories of also studying Theatre of the opressed and other forms of theatre for edcuation and social justice. And being nervous and then inspired! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures and classes.
    And enjoy NYC!!!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aileen!
    I met you at the CTG costume shop tour! I'm so happy to hear that you're enjoying NY! Just as Deb said--I remember studying Boal and all the great topics that come along with Performance Studies at Tisch!
    Can't wait to hear more about your experience!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aileen-

    Thanks for sharing your adventures! I LOVE Avenue Q - I think I've seen it 3 times and it never gets old. I love the pictures!!!

    Take care,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete