Tuesday, April 26, 2011

food for thought

As I count down the days to summer, I'm stealing a few moments here and there to anxiously flip through books and read what I can about Boal and Theatre of the Oppressed. In Games for Actors and Non-Actors by Boal, i'm learning more and more how this work is so beautiful and powerful. Boal believes, "Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, instead of just waiting for it." This is both exciting and intimidating. I would love to think that what happens in my classroom is transforming lives, but  it also adds so much pressure. I constantly question whether i'm doing enough and/or doing it "right". Are the students "getting it" or are they merely going through the motions? Hmmm.

In other news, I am officially all booked for New York and Chicago: plane tickets, hotel, conference registration and enrollment at NYU. Woohoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment